About Me

My photo
Nicaragua
Welcome! I am an Environmental Educator with the Peace Corps, currently serving in Nicaragua from August 2010 until November 2012. I am only 24 years old and am originally from Naples, Florida. Thanks for reading! Please note: All views and opinions expressed here are my own and are in no way the views or opinions of the US Government or Peace Corps.

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Gardening and Transportation

So a quick update on the garden. I officially have a rockin’ new youth group. At first I found myself sitting all alone at 8:00am thinking I was getting my first taste bit of bad luck, but thank goodness they pulled through. At about 8:45 (I should have known to be patient considering I am working with teenagers and Latinos) they showed up. Only about 6 teens pulled through, but they kicked some serious butt with the machetes. I only asked them to clear a small patch of land in an empty lot next door and they went machete crazy clearing out knee high weeds in way more land than was necessary. It is impressive how quickly a couple of Nicas can clear land as well or better than a lawnmower with only machetes. They laughed at me when I said that they had done plenty for one day and we could leave digging and planting up to the next group...I was tired just watching them! After laughing and calling me a silly gringa they made plans for what type of barrier they will create for the garden and what the next group will need to bring to plant. Essentially, they have taken over as all good Nicas do when they realize they can do it way better than I can. Ah well (I’ve still got English classes up my sleeve and I KNOW they need me for that...).
More importantly than gardening, is transportation in Nicaragua...I keep meaning to write about it, as I spend a great deal of time on the buses here and think they are pretty awesome. Not only are they way more reliable than the buses in the US, but they are cheaper, WAY more fun, and just a cool (not in the temperature sense) way to travel. For example, the buses in my area are all old school buses bought from the United States and brought down here. They are not, however, just plain ol’ yellow anymore. Since the buses are not owned by the government, each bus driver is able to pimp out his bus to the max. Crazy colors, stickers that read “Jesus is my boy”, stereo systems, TVs, and anything else that can be stuck, painted or hung on the bus for added distinction. Likewise, each bus is run by a driver and a “cobrador,” or the guy who yells out the window “CHINANDEGA, CHINANDEGA, CHINANDEGA” as the bus drives by to let you know which bus it is and to hopefully convince you to get on their bus. He also goes up and down the aisle collecting money. This may seem tricky as he has to remember exactly when everyone gets on and who owes money and who has already paid (and there are no tickets like on a train), but I promise, he never forgets. 
My favorite part of all, however, is the food. This is something that tourists can not enjoy right away, unless they want to spend the whole rest of the trip sick in the hotel, but after a few months it is definitely one of the added benefits of travelling via bus. Practically each time the bus stops, as well as in the bus terminals, ladies (and some men) board the buses for the sole purpose of selling delicious food. They walk up and down the aisles waving the incredible, and cheap, food in your face, so that it is impossible not to eat constantly on a bus trip. My favorite bus trip is from my site to the department capitol, Chinandega, where women board the bus halfway through selling warm Nica versions of doughnuts....They are covered in sugar, freshly baked and incredible. 
If I’m not travelling alone, I prefer to travel with someone who also enjoys eating large quantities of crap and isn’t afraid of trying bus food (it’s helpful to be with a Nica who can advise you away from sketchy foods that may have hidden animal parts, etc). Often if you sit next to someone friendly they will let you know what it is they are eating and whether or not it is safe/good....they may even let you try it (only with a snack food, gross if you had to bite it or something). 
Nicas also drink everything out of plastic bags (part of the huge trash issue). Imagine a bag the size of a ziplock sandwhich bag, except no zipper...they pour the drink in and knot the top closed. You then turn the bag sideways, bite off the corner of the bag and squeeze out the drink. All Nicas do this like pros, even teeny little kids. At first, any drink that arrived in a bag was bored into a cup for me, as they assummed I couldn’t do it, but know that I am in site, buying my own drinks from the corner stores, on buses, etc, I have had to learn the bag method. Unfortunately, figuring this out takes a couple of times spilling mango juice all down the front of shirt in front of the whole bus...I have since mastered the bag method which all drinks excpet hot drinks....yes, they put hot drinks in plastic bags too....it’s really ridiculous and when the hot drink burns my lips I lose all cool, stop holding the bag the right way, and it goes everywhere....something to work on for the next two years...
So I suppose my main point in all of this is that travelling in Nicaragua is way fun, as long as you have a strong stomach, can figure out how to drink out of bag, and can put your money in your bra (I forgot to mention this before, but it really is the safest place for your money...otherwise you will probs get pickpocketed). Come visit me!!!
Lots of love!

No comments:

Post a Comment