About Me

My photo
Nicaragua
Welcome! I am an Environmental Educator with the Peace Corps, currently serving in Nicaragua from August 2010 until November 2012. I am only 24 years old and am originally from Naples, Florida. Thanks for reading! Please note: All views and opinions expressed here are my own and are in no way the views or opinions of the US Government or Peace Corps.

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Quick Update

Hi all! Really quick update! Sorry I haven´t been updating in so long. Time has been flying by, and everytime I get the chance to sit down, all I want to do is eat, read or sleep. The cybers tend to be hot and crowded so they aren´t my favorite place when I have down time. Enough complaining.

I taught my first class, in Spanish, on Thursday!! Very exciting and successful. I taught a sixth grade class about the Milky Way. Used a RAN chart for any teachers out there, and I definitely think it went OK for my first time. Spanish wasn´t perfect but I got my point across. I teach again this upcoming Thursday and am definitely excited to see the kids again.

Our garden at the school is finally planted and looking beautiful. All of our seeds are germinating and our biggest problem is keeping kids out. We tend to find footprints in our seed beds, but so far no big disasters. Our boss said he was ¨positively surprised¨ by how well it turned out....thanks...

Youth group is also going well...lots of cool bracelets made from plastic bags. Only problem is the crowd of drunk men that tend to form outside of the windows, but we have successfully managed to lock them outside of the school gates during out meetings...They do like to climb the fence and whistle at us from outside, but it´s better than them hanging outside the door or sitting in the group whistling while we talk. Men here definitely have no sense of shame.

Today, we visited one of four remaining active volcanoes around the world where you can look down into the center. It was pretty awesome and VERY hot. We weren´t allowed to hike far from out vehicles, however, in case the volcano started to errupt and we had to evacuate...apparently it´s been threatening to do something lately...

Also just receieved our lists of future sites...there are 22 in all...I do not want to get my hopes set on any particular site and end up crying when I don´t get the one I want. They all look pretty incredible. Rivas, right next to Costa Rica, and close to my training family, would be nice though.

I am officially sweating in this Cyber now, so I´m going to head home to hopefully play with the neighborhood kids and have a relaxing saturday afternoon!

OH! And I got a new cellphone! So email me for the number!!! xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment